UPDATE: This sweepstakes is now closed. The winner will be contacted and then announced. Like our Facebook page for more giveaways and online safety tips.
It was a dark and stormy night. The only light in my room is the soft glow of my PC monitor. The wind howls against the window sill as I wait for the auction to close. Suddenly an email pops up from my Outlook. I try to shut it but instead I accidentally open Windows Media Player.“Close! Close! Close!” I command, as press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Task Manager. End task on everything but Firefox!
And there they are, again—the perfect color, the perfect addition to my vast collection. I breathe out. Thirty seconds left. I move my cursor to the “Buy” button. “These Christian Louboutins will be mine,” I promise myself aloud. Suddenly a scream, a horrible, screeching scream. And it’s coming from my own mouth!
My PC crashed—another victim of the dreaded “Blue Screen of Death.”
As much as I love my computer, I will never forget my horror when I saw that screen and lost those shoes at THAT price. Oh, the horror.
PCs are, of course, generally wonderful, but sometimes they can be absolutely frightening.
Viruses, malware and phish. Oh my. And then there’s the pop-ups, the bad links, the evil attachments.
If your PC is protected and you’re smarter than John, you can avoid nearly all of the dark spirits who want to haunt your PC. But still, even the best of us end up with our hands around the base of our monitor, attempting to choke it.
So in celebration of Halloween, we have to ask: What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever seen on your PC?
Just read the rules and post your answer as a comment on this page for your chance to win a PlayStation 3 160 GB and F-Secure Internet Security 2011.
We’re about halfway to the number of entrants we need to complete our Facebook survey—so we’d appreciate if you’d let your friends and family know about this giveaway. If they win, they’ll almost definitely invite you over for some fun on the PlayStation 3.
CC image by Michael.
F-Secure Internet Security 2011
GET REAL SWEEPSTAKES WEEK #6- COMPETITION RULES AND PRIZES
If you do not accept these rules, please do not enter this promotion.
1. The sponsor of this promotion is F-Secure Corporation, located at Tammasaarenkatu 7, Po. Box 24, 00181 Helsinki, Finland (“Sponsor”).
2. The promotion will begin at 6:00 PM PDT on October 24, 2010 and end at 6:00 PM PDT October 31, 2010.
3. This promotion is void where prohibited or restricted by law. No purchase is necessary to enter.
4. 3 prizes a PlayStation 3 with a retail value of $299.99 and 1 F-Secure Internet Security license with a retail value of $59.99 will be given as prizes in this promotion at the close of the competition.
5. Only two (2) entries, per person per Sweepstakes will be accepted. Each comment posted constitutes an entry. Further attempts made by the same person and entries generated by a script, computer programs, macro, programmed, robotic or other automated means will be disqualified.
6. The winner will be chosen randomly from the people who participated in the competition by commenting on the “Get Real Sweepstakes: Week #6“. Sponsor will notify the winner via email. If the winner does not respond within seven (7) days, he or she will forfeit the prize and another winner will be randomly chosen. This prize is shipped to the winner within 30 days of the promotion closing date.
7. The winners are responsible for any taxes associated with receipt of the prizes. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the prizes with other prizes of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason.
8. Odds of winning the prizes depend upon the total number of eligible entries received.
9. No purchase or software download is necessary to enter or win. Purchase or software download will not increase your chances of winning.
10. To enter, visit https://safeandsavvy.f-secure.com/2010/10/22/get-real-sweepstakes-week-6/ and comment on the post once or twice. To comment you must provide your email address, which will not be made public. Entries are the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Comments made be edited by F-Secure without explanation.
11. Any entrant who attempts to cheat or tamper with the Get Real Sweepstakes shall be disqualified by the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
12. The name of the winner will be announced via the F-Secure Twitter channel http://twitter.com/FSecure, F-Secure Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/FSecure and F-Secure’s Safe and Savvy blog https://safeandsavvy.f-secure.com/ once the winner has been contacted. By entering, the entrant agrees that his/her name, country and/or picture can be published at F-Secure’s aforementioned channels if he/she wins.
13. By entering, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and all of its representatives from and against any and all costs, expenses, claims, demands, proceedings, suits, actions and/or liabilities for any injuries, death, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with accidents, terrorism, theft, natural disaster, the promotion of the Get Real Sweepstakes, the distribution of any prize, entrants’ participation in and/or entry into the Get Real Sweepstakes, acceptance or use of any prize or unavailability of any prize. Prizes are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind from the sponsor.
14. Employees of Sponsor and family members of such employees are not eligible to enter.
© 2010 F-SECURE CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
To commemorate F-Secure’s 30th year of innovation, we’re profiling 30 of our fellows from our more than…
July 12, 2018